Carrot Cake with Applesauce
1 1/2 cups white flour
1/2 cup whole grain pastry flour
1 cup sugar
2 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup unsweetened applesauce
2 tbsp oil
2 large egg whites
2 large whole eggs
3 cups grated carrots
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a mixing bowl, combine first 7 ingredients (all dry).
3. In another bowl, mix together applesauce, oil, egg whites, and eggs. Add the mixture slowly to the dry ingredients.
4. Beat together until well mixed. Add carrots and mix until they are intergrated.
5. Pour into a loaf pan (9 x 5 x 3) and bake in oven for 1 hour and 10 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
6. Turn cake out onto a rack to cool.
click here for a printer frendly version of this page.